Tuesday 27 April 2010

Lecture 10: Body Modification and Tattoos


18 Is the glorious coming of age. You can drink, smoke, have sex and of course have a Tattoo or have a piercing!!

I can understand how many people either want to modify their body because of personal taste in forming an identity or because of culture in a tribe.
But there are forms that are wrong such as the foot blinding of children in a Chinese society and to me it’s not just not right as some might agree that is child abuse to cause harm to a child but there are other instances that cause harm to the likes of adults when it isn’t needed, it is just wrong.

Another form of body modification that is non permanent modification is make up as I am aware that many like to wear make up for a special occasion, but it also always seen on TV shows as the people in front of the camera are always wearing make up to make them look perfect but however in my view it doesn’t refer to real life as many like myself don’t like to wear make up as in my view it shows a confidence within yourself that you’re happy in your own skin. I’m not against wearing make up as there are moments when I like to wear a little lip stick. As for the people who love to have their own style with make up there are certain make up tutorials online for the difference in people such as who wear glasses and for those who like a dramatic look to their face but on the other hand I like when people have their dramatic style as it shows their individuality.

As for tattoos I also feel the certain designs people have shows their individuality. As I know from family and friends how have tattoos they generally have them to show their artistic passion for a certain thing or for memorial of a loved one i.e. Mother, Partner or Children. Tattoos can also be seen on the famous and when it’s noticed that they have a new tattoo it’s in the news as the public are often interested in stars such as Rihanna and Angelina Jolie.

I see nothing wrong with Tattoo but I understand that many faiths feel that Tattoo and other body modifications are an ‘attack on God in changing it from its natural state’ and there are some groups that feel ‘it’s a sign of a mental illness’.

Overall I feel that if you want to modify your body for any reason then you should as its you’re choice as everyone has freewill.

No comments:

Post a Comment